How to use strigi

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 6 11:34:37 UTC 2009

On Sunday 06 September 2009 11:18:49 Thomas Janssen wrote:
> 2009/9/6 Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
> > On Sunday 06 September 2009 05:06:54 Sonic wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >>    Can someone help me with Strigi setup? All I want to have is *fast
> >> desktop search* based on filename & file content. I do not want to rate
> >> or tag my files. So, I guess I don't need Nepomuk. But, is this
> >> possible?
> >>
> >> I'm running KDE 4.3 on Fedora 11.
> >
> > I don't believe it is possible to use strigi without nepomuk running.
> >  Why do you not want to use it?
>
> My reason to not want to use it would be: Nepomuk - Redland backend ==
> yuck slow and makes Dolphin freeze until it gets whatever it needs
>
> AFAIK there's no other backend yet in Fedora. but i might be wrong
> (trying to catch up what i missed trough the last very busy week).

I've heard others say that, but it's not causing any problem here, and I
haven't seen any freezes.  Strigi doesn't run here, but Nepomuk has been
running for several months.  Could it be the strigi indexing that's causing
the problem?  It looks to me as though (Redland notwithstanding) it may not be
simply nepomuk.