KDE ate my sound card! :(

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 12:19:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 22:38:25 +0100, John5342 wrote:

> Before you start insisting the blame lies completely with KDE have you
> considered other possibilities that are just as likely such as other
> updates that may have been run along with KDE and bugs in them were
> triggered by rebooting or similar. Kernel updates for instance have
> often caused this kind of issue with me where the kernel doesn't detect
> the sound card properly, therefore neither can pulseaudio and then KDE
> throws up the message. Unless you understand the issue properly don't
> throw wild accusations around.

Agreed, I'm not 100% sure that KDE is to blame, but I updated everything,
rebooted, logged int gnome, sound worked, I player with removing and
reloading audio module. Sound worked fine in Gnome. I logged to KDE, got
the message and sound stopped working both in KDE and in Gnome.

That is why I made slightly comical title "KDE ate my sound card" and not
"F*CK KDE, it killed my sound" or something similar.

I'm just interested how to get sound back working again, any tips/tricks
or suggestion are more than welcome, and I'll share back what I found out
about this issue. So hopefully other users don't get bitten with by same
situation.

--
pratite me na twitteru - www.twitter.com/valentt
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/