QtMultimedia V. Phonon -- The full story?

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 05:51:49 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to start a KDE beat for next week's Fedora Weekly News,
and was hoping I could get a little clearing up on the whole state of
QtMultimedia in Qt 4.6.

What I know:
* Qt pulled Phonon into its API for the 4.4 release.
* QtMobility is creating a second Multimedia API which will be lower level
than Phonon which will be in Qt 4.6 under a QtMultimedia namespace.
* Fedora-KDE will be meeting next week with the upstream (kde) developers
regarding the future of Phonon in KDE.
* Some Fedora-KDE members (Kevin, Sho_, Rex(?)) believe the API to be
inferior and may end up becoming the main Multimedia API in Qt as Phonon
becomes older and older (via IRC logs)

What I don't know:
* What does this mean for KDE for KDE now, KDE4.4 (which will be on Qt 4.6?)
and the future of the project in general?
* Will KDE apps begin using QtMultimedia (or a KDE derivative) over Phonon?
* How do Fedora-KDE developers feel about this possible change and the new
API in general? There is, as always, both sides to the issue and I want to
capture both.

Sorry if I sound ignorant on the subject (I am) and thanks for helping me
out. This'll be in FWN next week under the (new) KDE beat if I can get a
handle on this issue.

Good night,
Ryan

--
Ryan Rix
(623)-826-0051

Please refrain from mailing me directly in replies, I am subsribing
via GMane NNTP. Thank you.

Fortune:
I'm GLAD I remembered to XEROX all my UNDERSHIRTS!!

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#teensonlinux,#plugaz and
      countless other FOSS channels.