.desktop integration for command line tnef app

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 26 14:35:01 UTC 2009

On 09/26/2009 10:15 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> But I checked and it can't do anything useful with TNEF, it just displays a
> binary winmail.dat attachment and has no idea what to do with it.
So I think it would be useful (until something better comes along), to
make an extract with tnef option.

>> Any ideas/answers for the other query, regarding providing a desktop
>> file so that dolphin creates an extract TNEF menu item when such a file
>> is clicked ?
>
> A service menu is what you need there. Look at existing entries in
> /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus to see how they should look like. If
> you don't have any, install some KDE apps first. ;-) amarok, kdebase,
> kdebase-workspace, kdegraphics, kdemultimedia, kdenetwork, kdeplasma-addons,
A few messages back in the thread, I mentioned that is what kde calls
it. But all efforts thus far have failed to trigger the creation of the
correct menu item in dolphin.

Is there a better place to ask about:
- the correct place to put the .desktop file (for F11+kde4+dolphin)?
- what is needed for the app to notice the new .desktop fileand do what
it indicates: (F5, log out, reboot) ?

Cheers, DaveT.