F13 - KDE will only run in failsafe session

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 20 18:57:50 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 20 April 2010 19:14:29 Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 04/20/2010 07:25 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > KDE is now stable on my new laptop (latest Intel graphics driver) - as
> > long as I stick to 'KDE failsafe mode'.  That seems to disable
> > compositing - but I don't know what else is missing?
>
> I thought that's all that failsafe did, was disable compositing.
>
> Check your
> ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
>
> to ensure compositing is not enabled.

If that's all, I can live with it for a while.  There's an awful lot of stuff
in kwinrc, to say that it's supposed to be disabled.  What do you think?

http://pastebin.ca/1870169

SystemSettings had it enabled.  I've just turned it off there and I'll try a
new login.

Hmm - as it shut down, kontact briefly showed!  No wonder I couldn't get it to
start.  Well, I'm back in a full KDE session, minus compositing, and
konversation has launched without causing a crash.  Akonadi is still cycling
back and forth, but that's another story.  It looks as though there is no
compositing with this GPU and the Intel driver.

KDE Community Working Group