No more Fedora 13 on Toshiba laptop!

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 23 09:50:50 UTC 2010

On Monday 23 Aug 2010 07:04:22 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Chris Smart wrote:
> > At the end of the kernel line, remove any of the words like "splash",
> > "quiet", "rhgb" - and *add* the words, "single nomodeset" - then hit
> > the enter key and then "b" to boot it.
>
> I'd try "3" instead of "single". That's the normal text mode runlevel,
> which should be enough to debug X.Org X11 problems while booting into a
> more usable system than single-user mode.

Thanks, both of you, for trying to help.  I've tried all the things suggested,
and had no success.  In the end I gave in and installed OpenSUSE on this
laptop.  Fedora has simply never been happy with it.  I suspect it's the Intel
video that it doesn't like, but I've had endless problems since I bought it.
We'll see whether OpenSUSE handles it any better.  Meanwhile, I still have
Fedora 13 on the other laptop which also gets regular use.

KDE Community Working Group