Command-line desktop specification

Dj YB yehielb at mail.ru
Wed Aug 25 23:12:23 UTC 2010

On Thursday August 26 2010 01:05:51 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Dj YB wrote:
> >> Is there a command-line way of asking for
> >> an application, eg ssh, to open in a specified desktop?
> >
> > wmctrl -r <WIN> -t <DESK>   Move the window to the specified desktop.
> >
> > note: you should check the number of desktops before using: wmctrl -d
> > if it just one then you can add by using: wmctrl -n 2 (or more)
> > to switch to another desktop use: wmctrl -s 1 (or another)
> >
> > for more info see: man wmctrl
>
> Thanks for the response.
> Unfortunately, my Fedora-13 KDE system does not seem to have this command.

yum install wmctrl

> Actually, I'm trying to set up a menu item which runs ssh -Y
> <RemoteMachine> This works perfectly on my main laptop,
> but for some reason it acts in a random way on the laptop I'm using now.
> In particular it opens in a random desktop,

I don't fully understand.
when you say desktop you mean the different  workspaces?

I am using compiz as a window manager, and have chosen that the windows will
open under the cursor.
in "Compiz Config Settings Manager" go to the "Place Windows" plugin and set
the "Placement Mode"

if you are using kwin (the default)
open "system settings"->"Window Behavior"->"Window Behavior"->"Advanced"
and set the Placement as you wish.

> despite the fact that I have asked it (by right-clicking in the title-bar)
> to open in a specified desktop.
> (More annoyingly, it opens in white-on-black on this laptop,
> and I have found no way of stopping this.)

I don't really understand, I assume you use Konsole to ssh, and Konsole is
White text on black background...
am I totally missing something?

> I'm not quite sure how I could use the above command in this script,
> even if the command was available.

Hope that helped,
YB.