My particular Nepomuk/Akonadi issue...

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 26 13:33:01 UTC 2010

On Friday 26 February 2010 10:54:21 Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> Hello Everyone
> I am creating a new thread on this, because having followed the other
> thread on this issue, I don't THINK I've seen it exactly like this.  Even
> if my situation IS the same as others that have been fixed on this list, my
> problem has not been fixed.  So, here goes...
>

> I am using KMail 1.13.0 from within Kontact 4.4.  This is all with the KDE
> that ships with Fedora 12 (which recently came in with the normal updates.)
>
> When I log in, I get the normal message about Akonadi starting up.  It
> seems to do this successfully:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-002.jpg
>
> After a few minutes (or less,) the following error/warning pops up:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-001.jpg
>
> The following screenshots show that mysqld is running under my name, and
> the nepomuk related process that does start successfully:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-003.jpg
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-004.jpg
>
> This is what I THINK sets my situation apart from the others mentioned on
> this list:  other than Neopmuk indexing being disabled, I have absolutely
> no other issues using KMail/Kontact.  Receiving & Sending email works just
> as well now as it did before the recent upgrade.
>
> I just went to the appropriate section of "systemsettings" and checked the
> two boxes shown on the following screenshot.  Interestingly, indexing
> seemed to be going on for a few minutes, then the error/warning that is
> shown in the following screenshot came up:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-005.jpg
>
> After all of that, here is a screenshot of the nepomuk processes that are
> currently showing:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-006.jpg
>
> Also, here is the output when I run "nepomukserver" from a terminal:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-output-001.txt
>
> Of particular interest (I think) are these lines:
> [steve at localhost .public_html]$ grep -i crashed kde-nepomuk-output-001.txt
> ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' stopped
> unexpected (Process crashed)
> Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' crashed! 4 restarts left.
> ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' stopped
> unexpected (Process crashed)
> Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' crashed! 3 restarts left.
> ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' stopped
> unexpected (Process crashed)
> Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' crashed! 2 restarts left.
> ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' stopped
> unexpected (Process crashed)
> Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' crashed! 1 restarts left.
> ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' stopped
> unexpected (Process crashed)
> Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' crashed! 0 restarts left.
> [...]
I am not a developer, and this is a totally uneducated guess.
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-005.jpg seems to show
the problem.  I suspect that because you checked the strigi service akonadi is
trying to use it, and can't find it, so fails.  In your position I'd first try
unchecking the strigi service, then I'd shut everything down and log out.  I'd
choose to do it that way because it ensures that everything kde needs to run
smoothly gets started in the right order.  If that works, then we try to find
why your strigi service isn't working correctly.

KDE Community Working Group