ktts borken?

Ariel Constenla-Haile ariel.constenla.haile at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 26 20:28:13 UTC 2010

Hello Anne,

On Friday 26 February 2010, 17:08, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > I am a keen user of text-to-speech synthesis, using festival & espeak
> > > both with and without mbrola, but using the kttsd front-end has been
> > > completely and utterly broken for about 2 years now.
> >
> > IIRC last year I was able to set up ktts and read PDFs
> >
> > > I have had a bug report open on bugs.kde.org for about as long (after
> > > being requested to do so by Rex (?) when they were pushing us to file
> > > the bugs upstream), but there has not been any action whatsoever.
> > >
> > > I am also not able to even see the voices available on my system, so I
> > > cannot select any.
> >
> > the same happens here. Both festival & espeak work fine from the command
> > line.
> >
> > > I will have a look at Anne's link later.
> >
> > the usersbase page does not add much to the ktts handbook nor the other
> > docs. quoted in the previous mails.
>
> I will try to contact the author of that page and ask him to help.  The
> easiest way would be for both of you to ask questions on the Discussion
> page http://userbase.kde.org/Talk:KTTS - it's an empty page now, so just
> edit it. I'll ask the author to read it and try to help.

IMHO this is no documentation issue; I mean, the handbook is pretty clear, the
problem is that nothing *works* at all. Trying to start the kttsd from the
configuration tab page does no t work, starting it from the command line does;
but it does nothing. I could even introspect it via qdbusviewer. Also the
kttsmgr does nothing at all (I guess the underlying problem is that you cannot
even set up a talker).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile