kdepim4.5

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sat Jul 3 20:18:37 UTC 2010

On Saturday 03 July 2010 22:49:46 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 02 July 2010 18:04:54 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > >
> > > When it is provided by it's upstream.
> > >
> > > Turns out just yesterday, some preliminary kdepim-4.5-beta1 tarballs
> > > were provided to packagers, so we'll get to work on those, and get
> > > into rawhide and kde-unstable asap.
> >
> > Errr.... What does that say about stability?  If I recall correctly there
> > were serious issues with kdepim 4.5 that delayed the release with kde
> > 4.5. Does that mean the developers think that they have been resolved?
> > If not is it wise to include kdepim 4.5 so deep in the release cycle?
> >
> > Eli
>
> The developers have said explicitly that it is a Technical Preview.  They
> have asked that distros that choose to supply it should make that clear to
> users, and that they should distribute the 4.4 version as standard in SC
> 4,5, which means that you will be able to run the two in parallel, but
> only if you explicitly choose to.
>
> The migration path is fairly well tested, but if things do go wrong it is
> possible to revert to using the 4.4 version.  However, it sounds a bit
> complicated to me so I have asked the developers to help me write up a
> clear explanation when the release gets nearer.
>
> Anne

As you noted Anne.... It is a technical review. However, as noted earlier
kdepim 4.5 is schedualed to be brought along side packages being tested as
part of the release cycle. Kdepim 4.5 is not schedualed for release. IMHO it
is a mistake to include it within the framework of how kde-redhat has
traditionally incorporated testing leading to final release. The last time kde
released a botched kdepim the noise was horrific and very unpleasant.

Again in my humble opinion it belongs somewhere on the side. If individuals
wish to test it then they would be able to do it by including the kde-redhat
development repo. Leaving unstable clear for testing of packages schedualed
for release.

Eli

Eli

believed to be clean.