XSession help needed

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sat Jul 10 20:09:52 UTC 2010

On Saturday 10 July 2010 14:54:56 Anne Wilson wrote:
> My laptop has Intel graphics.  I have never been able to use Desktop
> Effects, and have worked, since I got it a few months ago, in KDE Failsafe
> mode.  After updating this morning I decided to give it another try.
>
> In the past I found that I could work for a minute or two, then I would be
> dropped to the Login screen, so it must be an X failure, I guess.  Today,
> though, I went to SystemSettings to enable a few choice effects - none of
> the eye-candy stuff, but dimming inactive windows and setting alt-tab to
> cover switch.  I completely lost keyboard input, although the mouse
> continued to work.  Gkrellm showed no activity whatsoever, although I
> suspect that just means that it had lost connectivity, since mouse
> movement on the screen must mean that it's not totally dead.
>
> I know that .xsession-errors is where I should be looking, but I don't
> really know where to start, so I've posted it at
> http://pastebin.ca/1897817.  Could someone please have a look and see if
> there are any suggestions for solving the problem.  (I have been working
> for more than 30 minutes now, without a problem, so I'm hopeful that there
> is some improvement in the situation since the update.)
>
> Anne

Hi Anne

I will try to help. Dunno if I can be of much help, but maybe if we knock our
heads together we can figure this out.

First thing thing... The log that you've posted doesn't seem to indicate where
the crash is and it doesn't seem to be the Xorg log which can be found at

/etc/log/Xorg.0.log

Next time you get a crash please post what is contained there.

The other thing I gotta ask, is what happens if you start with a completely
clean configuration. I guess you can either do that with a completely new user
for the computer or backup .kde and start again.

Eli

believed to be clean.