4 questions on KMail/KAddressBook 4.4.4

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Jul 15 12:06:32 UTC 2010

1. I keep my email on my desktop (my "home server"),
running CentOS-5.5 .
I run dovecot/IMAP on this desktop,
allowing me to access my email on one of several laptops,
all running Fedora-13.
[I do not normally access email directly on my desktop.]

I run an OpenLDAP server on my desktop,
with an LDAP address book.
I can use this with KMail, in the sense that
if I start a "To" line in New Message,
possible completions in the LDAP address book are listed.

As far as I can tell, this LDAP address book
is not copied to my laptop;
the information is all stored on the desktop.

Is this setup compatible with using KAddressBook-4.4.4
on my laptop?

2. If I go to KMail/KAddressBook on my laptop,
I see one contact listed in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/
and also in ~/.local/share/contacts/ .

However, I do not see any of the (many) contacts
in my LDAP address book,
although this source is listed in
KAddressBook=>Settings=>Configure KAddressBook=>LDAP Server Settings

Does KMail access the LDAP server directly?
Or must it go through KAddressBook?
If the latter, why do I not see these entries in KAddressBook?

3. Must I run mysqld on my laptop for KAddressBook?
I'm presently running a MySQL server on my desktop.
Can I use this?

[I'm not clear what is meant by saying that one must be running MySQL.
Does it mean mysql-client or mysqld ?]

4. I have two different System Settings icons in my f-menu:

a) A System Settings icon at the top level (with Development, Education,
etc)

b) An entry at level 2 under Settings=>System Settings

Is this unusual?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net