Konqueror and Gmail

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 2 09:45:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Thomas Janssen wrote:
>> Oh, by the way, i guess because kmail (or a full featured email
>> client) is that awesome to use, is the reason why you use something
>> different to answer that threads. What was it again, Knode and gmane?
>
> Because I use POP for my e-mail, not IMAP. I like my mail being downloaded
> to my local machine rather than being dependent on some server. But of
> course that doesn't scale to a mailing list!
>
> I also use different threading settings in KMail (personal mail) vs. KNode
> (mailing lists): I set my personal mail to unthreaded so I always have the
> newest messages at the bottom and normally read them in order (and
> immediately read mail as it comes in, I have a sound alert configured to
> tell me about that), whereas I set the "newsgroups" (mailing lists gatewayed
> through Gmane, really) to threaded and read them thread by thread when I
> have time.
>
> And finally, IMHO NNTP is just a better solution for mailing lists than
> traditional mail delivery. The whole concept of mailing lists is primitive:
> Why forward the whole discussion to everyone rather than just letting people
> poll the shared server directly? And KDE offers a dedicated tool for NNTP,
> so why not use it?

See, your personal use case ;) All i said in the first place was that
every user uses what fits his needs. And leaving that up to the user
is what is polite and falls under be excellent to each other ;) (i do
know sometimes it's hard to be excellent or polite). If you think you
have to share/spread the word of what you use, you could do it better.
For example just tell people what you use and leave it up to them to
decide what's better ;) But as always, nobody has to take advice from
me. And as well, i'm always impressed by your knowledge.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium