RFC: kde stability proposal (redux)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 12:02:47 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 02:11:52 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
> > One more call for discussion around another proposal that came out of
> > FUDCon
> > Toronto.  Short version of this is that we'd consider slowing down
> > updates a step, esp for the second half of a fedora release's lifetime,
> > and to limit kde 4.x-type upgrades to at most 1 per release.
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Stability_Proposal
>
> Considering the results of Adam Williamson's poll of Fedora users and
> considering how I still don't see a reason why we'd treat the previous
> stable release any differently than the current stable (there is no such
> policy anywhere in Fedora, it's just pointless second-class treatment), I'm
> still very much against this proposal.
>
> If the update is good enough to be stable for F12, why is it not good
> enough for F11 as well? As for workload, the things which are the most
> work (bumping the specfile, removing obsolete patches, occasionally fixing
> file lists, making sure it builds) have to be done anyway, building the
> same stuff one more time is basically trivial anyway.

It's not only about stability as crashes, regression etc. but also about
stability in terms of same UI.  So yes - if we can deliver working
crash/regression stable update to F12, we can for sure do the same for F11.
But for some people even small UI changes are big changes. You would probably
argue that RHEL/CentOS is for these users but it's not actually true - these
distros are not very well suited for desktop usage (hw support is big issue
for example). And Ubuntu is just crap ;-)

Jaroslav