fedora-kde target audience, draft rfc

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 18 10:14:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> dexter wrote:
>> * Integration, kde apps/front-ends/services by default (an issue only
>> in gnome shops)
>
> I also think we should stress that. For example, it has been recently
> suggested to ship gnome-packagekit as the default updater even on the KDE
> spin, I think that would run very much counter to most users' expectations
> (including mine). We should only consider shipping GNOME apps when there's
> really no KDE alternative. People who want GNOME apps should use the GNOME
> spin. :-)

Since i was the one who suggested it.. :) I do understand you but, if
the KDE alternative is just giving a very basic functionality and is
having problems (VPN IIRC) then we should consider using what works
well, gives more output, does not suggest (again at the beginning of
an update to reboot) stupid things.

KPK is in my eyes, ugly, unreliable and too basic. I suggested to you
as well to try the latest GNOME-packagekit to see what i mean.
I think KPK is on it's way, but not yet ready.

If we dont want to lose users to GNOME because of not fully working,
suggesting stupid things KDE apps, we might better use the
alternative, even if it's written GTK/GTK+.
By the way, should everybody use the GNOME SPIN as well because there
are no QT alternatives for the installed system-config-* utility's in
the KDE SPIN? ;)

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium