address book problems

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 21 17:37:14 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 March 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:

> For clarity's sake, let's start afresh.  First, if you haven't set up
> the tray icon (type akonadi into krunner and select it), do it now.
>
> Right-click on the icon and select Configure.  List the addressbook
> resources you see there.  For each one, check Modify and tell us where
> it points to.

Two Address book entries, both point to ~/.local/share/contacts/

> You will almost certainly see some 'Offline' messages - ignore them.
> It's a known bug that has no impact on your work.
>
> Then open KAddressBook - either within Kontact or stand-alone and tell
> us what addressbooks you have there.

"Personal Contacts"

> We'll tackle your saving problem once we know exactly what you have and
> haven't got set up.

Sounds good. I did post a similar question in the KDE-PIM list and Ingo
Klocker said it may be because not everything is ported over to Akonadi
yet. Which begs the question, why make the changes to an app without making
sure the "fix" is ready? This is really what frustrates me about major
upgrades like this... I had a problem several years ago that required a
different email client for awhile, so I tried an app called Pronto, but then
they decided to make a change similar to what KDE-PIM is doing and require
a database. Fortunately, at that time, whatever problem I'd had with KMail
back then was resolved, but it's frustrating when major changes like this
are made and the changes to the app are not complete when the update is
released.