Constant reboot

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 23 15:53:12 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 15:18, Martin Kho wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 March 2010 13:52, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Since I ended up with a large number of zombie processes for
> > > chromium-browser I decided to shut down the laptop completely, to get a
> > > clean, cold boot. There I came unstuck.  This is F12, fully updated.
> > > The bubble fills up, I see the Fedora logo, then it reboots.  I could
> > > try to catch it and get a level 3 login, of course, but since I haven't
> > > a clue what's causing this, I wouldn't know what to do next.  Any
> > > ideas?
> >
> > Argh!  I can't even get an level 3 boot.  I snatched it and edited the
> > grub entry, but still it reboots.  I came to the conclusion that grub
> > must be damaged, so I ran grub-install, but on reboot, still the same
> > thing happens - it looks fine up to the Fedora logo, then reboots.  I'm
> > completely stuck.
>
> Hi,
> Was udev updated? Bruno Wolf III had some sort of the same issue in fc13
> [1]. Reverting udev solved it.

Reading on through that thread, the symptoms are identical - and the error
message about iTCO_wdt is also identical.

OK - in the rescue system, udev is downgraded - the process finished
with 'unable to connect to dbus' - I don't know whether that's to be
expected.  Now to reboot.

Bingo!  The latest udev in F12 is poisoned, too!