address book problems

Jan Simonson nytt at simonson.se
Tue Mar 23 18:45:22 UTC 2010

tisdag 23 mars 2010 skrev Anne Wilson:
> > When I try to save an email-address from kmail I get a window titled
> > "Select an Address-book" but it's empty so that's a dead end. I have to
> > enter it manually into AddressBook. When I press the Select button to the
> > right of the address- field in the "new mail" window of Kmail I get a new
> > window where I can choose Address-book to use. Available there are "All",
> > "resource" and all my distribution-lists, not the "Personliga kontakter"
> > (= personal contacts in swedish)  which is the only list in AddressBook.
>
> In KAddressBook, do you have "Personliga kontakter"?

It's been there all the time since I upgraded and sorted it out.

> If not, you need to
> add  it.  That's your main addressbook.  I'm assuming that it is actually
> set up correctly (which you can check in Akonadi Configuration - type
> Akonadi into krunner), but from what you've said I believe it is, so it
> should merely be a case of adding it to kaddressbook.

No, as it's already the only list there, there is no point in adding it again.
KAddressBook works as a stand-alone program, the problem is I can't make KMail
aware of what's done in KAddressBook.

> > BTW, the distribution-lists are useless now as I can't edit them any
> > more. What a mess!

> The migrator for distribution lists is not in this version.  What you can
> do  is create a Group (which will replace the old dist-list) then add the
> addresses.  That's not as bad as it sounds, as autocompletion works, so
> typing 2-3 characters of the name allows you to add it.   It's a
> work-around, but unless you are one of the people with large club
> distribution lists it's not so bad.  You'll need to sort out your Personal
> Contacts problem first, of course.  Hopefully we will have the migrator by
> 4.5 at the latest.

In fact it's really bad. I run several distribution lists, one with more than
200 members, one with almost 100 members and some with 40-50 members.
I just can't wait until 4.5 is available sometime in the future. I have to do it
manually. Furthermore any changes made in KAddressBook are _not_ available in
KMail, see above. So there is no point in creating new Groups in KAddressBook as
I can't use them in KMail anyhow.

How can an upgrade like this be pushed?

Jan
--