How do I turn down the volume on a system beep ?

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 25 05:27:32 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 24 March 2010 02:18:51 Linuxguy123 wrote:
> F12 fully up to date.  KDE sessions.
>
> System beeps, ie Evolution receiving a new email are very loud.  How do
> I turn them down or off entirely ?
>
> Thanks

If you are unable to see the beep in kmix you will need to configure channels
and select it. If you do not see the option, it means that the kde multimedia
system is configured to work with phonon and not alsa.

I do not remember where to configure this in the kde settings. Kevin Koffler
pointed this one out to me and is documented at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE_PulseAudio_Integration

At the bottom there is the section called "Release Notes" and there you will
find the following information. Of course, you will have to logoff and back on
to your KDE session to be able to see the change.

Users of KMix will notice that most of their hardware sound controls are no
longer shown in the default (PulseAudio-based) interface. To get access to
these controls, close KMix (use right-click / quit) and restart it by running
KMIX_PULSEAUDIO_DISABLE=1 kmix in a Konsole terminal. To make this change
permanent, add export KMIX_PULSEAUDIO_DISABLE=1 to your ~/.bashrc file.

Eli

believed to be clean.