Preupgrade F13 x86_64 -> F14 x86_64 KDE Fails

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 15:59:22 UTC 2010

All:

I have just tried moving to Fedora 14 x86_64 using preupgrade.  Upon
launch of the new system, KDE is virtually non-responsive (I can get
some response initially, but it quickly fades).  Mouse pointer moves,
but clicks do not seem to do anything.

If I relaunch in KDE safemode, all seems well.  Where should I start
looking?  Xorg.0.log shows no errors.  Messages carries the following
(which I don't think is relevant): Nov  4 11:33:33 george
NetworkManager[1127]: <error> [1288884813.510342] [nm-manager.c:1331]
user_proxy_init(): could not init user settings proxy: (3) Could not
get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings': no
such name

The only other anomaly was that the lower right-hand portion of the
screen showed a flickering white bar just to the left of the plasma
bar.  In addition, when I used alt-tab to switch between apps (during
a brief period of responsiveness), one of the applications displayed
was "plasma-desktop", which I had never seen before.

I do use the proprietary nvidia graphics driver from ATRPMs, not the
nouveau driver (though, again Xorg says this was loaded just fine).

Any help or thoughts of where to look would be helpful.

George