new kde on f13 is very noisy!

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Nov 8 16:13:18 UTC 2010

On 11/08/2010 03:02 AM, Chris Rouch wrote:
> Over the weekend yum pulled in the newest version of kde for f13
> (4.5.2 I think). Since I rebooted and logged in my laptop seems to
> have the fan going most of the time. Gkrellm shows both CPUs are doing
> something, and top confirms that kwin and plasma desktop are each
> using between 10% and 30% CPU. For comparison on my f12 desktop at
> work they use between 2 and 5% cpu.  I don't know what the used before
> the upgrade, but I do know the fan was usually off except when the
> machine was loaded.
>
> This happens with only one window (firefox), and that only having a
> couple of tabs open.
>
> Is this something I can change? If so, where do I need to look?

Depends on a lot of things.

What video driver is in use?

What arch?

Is flash installed, and any applets running in any of those flash tabs
you mention?

Are destkop effects enabled?  Which effects?  (blur in particular, is
known to cause degraded performance/load with many driver combinations).

-- Rex