Thoughts on merging KDE into Qt and Is "Linux" slowing down ?

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 19:42:09 UTC 2010

Linuxguy123 wrote:

> I know that developers have nothing better to do (wink) so I thought I
> would mention that I'd love to hear (see) a discussion of what the
> Fedora people think of KDE being merged into Qt.
>
> And, on another slant, is it me or is the pace of "Linux" development
> slowing down now that KDE4.x is becoming somewhat mature ?  Where do
> things go from here ?

That's an interesting discussion proposal.

As a digital consumer, I have also wondered about what I have perceived as a
"slowing down" in Linux. It seems that there aren't many new or wild ideas
anymore. Perhaps this is a sign that Linux has become "somewhat mature"? But,
on the proprietary front, there doesn't seem to be much new, either. And our
hardware needs are pretty well taken care of, which often determines software
needs. Ultimately, it all relates to the human body and the number of senses
we have, doesn't it? We can see, we can hear, we have written language. These
things are pretty well taken care of nowadays, unlike a decade ago.

A few years ago, there were the browser wars, a push to get graphic images,
video and multimedia online, battles between realplayer and macromedia and
countless other forgotten technologies, vrml 3d stuff that never took off,
streaming was new, torrents hadn't been invented, scanners, webcams and
printers needed to be supported with not just drivers, but user software,
adsl became the norm, etc.

Maybe it's just that everything pretty well works now??? Even the KDE
paradigm shift is really just a background and a task bar on the monitor,
like we've had for decades. Sometimes I long for something breathtakingly
novel, but perhaps this just simply works.

I am waiting with bated breath to hear other views...