Performance degradation after KDE runs for sometime

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 17:25:55 UTC 2010

Hello,
I've been noticing that KDE performance degrades after it runs for a while on
my machine. Since I am the only user, I usually never log off, and just let KDE
runs for days at a time (I just lock the screen when I have to leave the
desktop). I do restart some applications, e.g kontact, kopete, Firefox just in
case I need to login to my mail (IMAP) or IM services from another location.

After a day or two, I would notice that Desktop switching is not as
responsive. Scrolling the list of folders or messages in my Kontact / Kmail
feel sluggish. Most obvious are desktop effect stuffs (e.g. show dashboard, show
all desktops). As anectdotal example, show dashboard would take 4-5 seconds
after I hit the shortcut before it happens. Displaying / drawing windows, for
examples, if I want to change my preferences in Firefox or Kmail or starting
xterm or konsole, is also less responsive. It's not unbearable, but the
degradation is there for sure.

Log off (restarting X) and re-login usually cure the problem. If I happen to be
too busy and have too many windows / apps open, I can still bear this for a
while, so it's probably not show stopper, but it's rather annoying.

I am running F13 - x86_64, fully updated. "Help --> About KDE" shows KDE 4.5.2
is installed. I am using proprietary nVidia driver from RPMFusion, running
dual-desktop (twinview). I don't think my hardware is the problem since it's
rather beefy machine: Nvidia Quadro NVS 295, 2 quad-core Intel i7 with 16 GB
RAM.

I am just wondering if anyone else see the same thing. I am curious if this is
KDE's problem, or X with/or Nvidia-driver interaction.

Thanks.
AC