Performance degradation after KDE runs for sometime

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 22:43:56 UTC 2010

On Friday, November 12, 2010 22:14:34 you wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I traced the issue down to swap usage --- after a couple of days of
> > running, *something* seems to gradually fill the memory with junk
>
> Run top and type "M".  That will sort process by their resident memory
> usage.  It won't had to spot the offender.

Ok, sure, I've been advised to do this before, and I've done it many times,
but somehow I'm not any smarter after looking at top output. Maybe I am
reading it wrong, but it just confuses me even further. Here goes, sorted by
memory usage:

top - 22:16:38 up 10 days,  5:11,  5 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.45, 0.37
Tasks: 200 total,   1 running, 199 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 10.4%us,  8.5%sy,  0.0%ni, 79.9%id,  1.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   2048088k total,  1657424k used,   390664k free,    18640k buffers
Swap:  4192956k total,  1038432k used,  3154524k free,   566580k cached

 2528 vmarko    20   0 2029m 171m  19m S  1.3  8.6 564:19.55 firefox
 2397 vmarko    20   0  366m 148m 7460 S  1.3  7.4 230:40.39 skype
 2366 vmarko    20   0  565m  92m 3044 S  0.0  4.6  12:10.68 emerald
 5723 vmarko    20   0  989m  82m  17m S  0.0  4.1  10:29.49 kmail
 1739 root      20   0  471m  59m  11m S 19.9  3.0   3780:01 X
 2021 vmarko    20   0 1380m  57m 9476 S  6.3  2.9 780:37.22 ktorrent
 2016 vmarko    20   0  293m  42m 8176 S  0.7  2.1 137:01.00 skype
 2222 vmarko    20   0  789m  28m 5436 S  0.0  1.4  11:05.85 cairo-dock
 1998 vmarko    20   0  937m  20m 8824 S  4.3  1.0 804:03.95 plasma-desktop
 2603 vmarko    20   0  546m  18m 7088 S  0.0  0.9   1:39.64 kile
22635 vmarko    20   0  480m  12m 6452 S  0.7  0.6  43:06.53 konsole
 2053 vmarko     9 -11  501m  12m  11m S  0.3  0.6 259:54.25 pulseaudio
10764 vmarko    20   0  455m 8572 4608 S  0.0  0.4   1:07.09 okular
32679 vmarko    20   0  285m 8528 5616 S  0.0  0.4   0:00.11 kio_pop3

So what do you make of it?

First 14 processes take up (together) 37.4 %MEM. Except for the last one (I
have no idea what is kio_pop3), all of those are active simultaneously on my
desktop most of the time.

I have 2 GB of RAM and 4GB of swap, and apparently most of the RAM is used up
and an extra 1 GB of swap. So what apps are using up the remaining 62.6 %MEM?

Is there a way to list all processes, sorted by memory usage? Top truncates
the output to the height of the terminal, and I would really like to see if
the %MEM is actually summed up to 100 for all processes.

By the way, does MEM column refer to RAM or RAM+swap? In any case, I don't see
why my 10+ apps, using a total of 37% of memory can force the system to use
1GB of swap, on top of 2GB RAM.

Is there a way to check which pages (belonging to which apps) are being
swapped out? Furthermore, is there a way to understand why is this being
done? What is occupying all that RAM if Firefox and KMail are routinely
swapped out and thus behave in an extremely sluggish way until they finally get
focus (and get swapped back to RAM)?

I guess it should be a sane system policy that apps currently open on the
desktop not be swapped, unless there is no more RAM for all of them. But all
my desktop apps take up only 37% of that RAM, so why do they get swapped out
in the first place?

I'd appreciate any clarification on this matter.

Best, :-)
Marko