strange orphans post F14 upgrade

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Mon Nov 15 12:09:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Chris Smart <mail at christophersmart.com> wrote:

> Maybe it's safe to remove because there's another version somewhere or
> something, but I thought I had better check. Thoughts please?

Yeah, looks like that's right - the F14 packages are _older_ builds
than those in F13. So yum thinks that they are orphaned packages.
Removing these though, would I fear, render my system to a broken
state.

I found the _yum distro-sync_ command (further on in the wiki after it
said to remove orphans, which might be a mistake), which does indeed
appear to show that's the case:
---> Package kdelibs.x86_64 6:4.5.2-5.fc14 will be a downgrade
---> Package kdelibs.x86_64 6:4.5.2-8.fc13 will be erased

So, I think I should not remove them, but let the distro-sync tool do
what it needs to first.

-c