Performance degradation after KDE runs for sometime

Richard Heck rgheck at comcast.net
Mon Nov 15 20:00:26 UTC 2010

On 11/15/2010 12:11 PM, Armelius Cameron wrote:
> On Saturday, November 13, 2010 06:25:45 pm Richard Heck wrote:
>> On 11/12/2010 03:55 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>>> After some time spent on this, I decided to upgrade to F14 next week,
>>> hoping that the issue might go away. But I am not sure it will.
>> I have been seeing this kind of slowdown on F14, after upgrading from
>> F12, where I never saw it.
> My laptop runs F12 which a much more modest hardware (a typical dual core
> laptop with 4GB RAM) and I don't think I've experienced the slowdown there
> either. At first I thought it's because I often turn it off and on rather than
> leaving it for days like my desktop at work. But on occassion I have left the
> laptop logged in over a whole weekend and it's still fairly responsive.
>
> The most obvious for me for the slowdown is the "Show Dashboard" action. It's
> fairly responsive on my laptop (F12) ; it always takes 5 seconds on my desktop
> (F13) before Dashboard is shown. Both uses Nvidia proprietary driver.

The most obvious problem I have been seeing has to do with window
switches. It seems as if, all of a sudden,
they become painfully slow. One version: Ctrl-Alt-Delete completely
freezes everything, to the point that the
mouse cursor disappears, and then---like you---I wait 3-5 seconds until
the logout box finally appears.

Log out and log in seems to cure it. The only thing I do know is that X
is consuming what looks like a lot
of resources as I switch windows, e.g., 35% CPU. But I have four cores,
so that can't be the issue by itself.

Also, this is not a memory issue: I have 6GB, and no swap being used.

Richard