Performance degradation after KDE runs for sometime

Martin Kho mdlkho at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 22:01:30 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 16 November 2010 13:50:48 Armelius Cameron wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:09:01 am Richard Heck wrote:
> > On 11/16/2010 09:59 AM, Christos Lazaridis wrote:
> > But I can confirm the workaround: Enabling and then disabling desktop
> > effects fixes the problem.
>
> Just curious and to make things clearer: are both of you (Richard and
> Christos) also using NVidia proprietary driver ?

Hi,

FYI: I'm using the nouveau driver - desktop effects (XRENDER) enabled - and
haven't seen any of the mentioned issues. Can it be that it's the proprietary
driver which is making trouble? If so, ask on the NVIDIA mailing list [1] if
others have the same issues.

Btw. Have you tried the vesa driver. It gives you a rather bad experience
(:-)) but at least you can test desktop effects (also XRENDER).

Martin Kho

[1] http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14