kwrite needs kate?

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 04:37:25 UTC 2011

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:

> I installed kate and suddenly kwrite works again.

Correction:

The kwrite menu is back, but neither kate nor kwrite are able to save
any files.

The message reads:

For file /home/petrus/file.txt no backup copy could be created before
saving. If an error occurs while saving, you might lose the data of
this file. A reason could be that the media you write to is full or
the directory of the file is read-only for you.

When I click "Try to save nevertheless", I get this message:

The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to
/home/petrus/file.txt.

Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk
space is available.

Yes, there is enough disk space and I do have write privileges in my
own home.

What gives?