KDE47 - strange behavior in conversion of mail files

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Sun Aug 21 14:55:28 UTC 2011

No one else is reporting this, but I've had a bizarre experience after
updating to KDE4.7 with my KMail email. Where previously the root of my
folder tree started with "Local Folders" and all my sub-folders were
listed below, what's occurred is that a new root folder "KMail Folders"
was created; below this new top-level folder was replicated the entire
folder structure of my previous "Local Folders" folder; at the same
time, "Local Folders" remained at the same root level as "KMail Folders"
with its sub-folder structure intact - so now I have these two top-level
folders with identical sub-folder structures below them; now, it gets
even stranger - in this dual/parallel folder structure my emails were
found with no sense or seeming reason for which emails ended up in
which. For example my sub-folder "Fedora-list" had about two thousand
messages in each folder, some in the new "KMail Folders" structure, and
some in the old "Local Folders" structure... These are not duplicates,
they just got randomly sorted, some remaining in the original folder,
and some moved into the new. Since I have over 30k messages in my
archive, this is not an insignificant deal. Some mail is very, very, old
stuff that I definitely don't want to lose.

Looking at my filters, I see that all the filters that had previously
been set to "Local Folders\some sub-folder\etc" had been converted to
"KMail Folders\some sub-folder\etc" - now, I'm in the process of
hand-copying everything from the old structure into the new, but, it's
very tedious, taking sometimes several minutes to list the messages in a
folder, and taking a very long time to perform the actual copy. Before I
started doing this, I gave the machine a very long time, over 24 hours,
thinking maybe it was just a long involved conversion that was going on,
but, that theory didn't hold out, so now I'm doing this by hand...

Anyone else see anything like this?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA