feedback on default plasma-desktop layout

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Thu Aug 25 11:38:32 UTC 2011

On 08/25/2011 09:03 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
>
>> The kde-sig is seeking feedback on f16's plasma-desktop (and potentially
>> other containments) default layout.
>>
>> In particular, prior to kde-4.7.x, the default was basically an empty
>> desktop with a sole folderview widget.  Now in kde47, the default is
>> even emptier, without even folderview.
>>
>> So, we were close to deciding simply putting a folderview back as
>> default, but I thought we could brainstorm for even better ideas.  What
>> do you all think?
>>
>> See also,
>> http://www.facebook.com/questions/10150276652411513/?qa_ref=qd
>>
>> -- rex
> If we're voting, I have a different request.  Make cwd be $user/home.  It seems
> to be $user/home/Documents.  For example, if I start emacs from kde panel (which
> uses 'emacs %f'), it starts with cwd being Documents.  I don't even know how to
> change it.

Yes! I'm still trying to work out how to get the default search path to
be /home/$user. The problem for many of us, new or experienced, is that
trying to guess what the user wants never works. It's bad enough if one
just has to remove the things that aren't wanted. Maybe instead of
forcing everyone to have the same defaults like MS, a sort of FAQ of how
to change the search path, add a file manager, etc. "Setting up your
desktop".

Jim