[SOLVED] Nepomuk File Indexing Service Not Running

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 02:41:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>
>> Part of the problem is that it has some dumb defaults.  For instance,
>> it only searches the Documents, Music, Movies, etc. folders that I
>> rarely use.  I always configure it to search my entire home directory.
>
> In fairness to upstream, these "dumb defaults" are fedora-only, it was a
> compromise between nepomuk's high cpu usage and keeping it in use for
> folders used by default for most users' indexible content.

Actually, it's really just KRunner's default that bugs me, because in
my experience turning on it's Nepomuk search doesn't slow it down much
at all, but it makes KRunner 1000x more awesome.  (Which is saying *a
lot*, because even boring default KRunner is really awesome.  ;-)

The folder thing I could care less about; there's no sensible default
that would make me and my wacko partition layout happy and certainly
none that would make *everyone* happy.  I mentioned that mainly
because it's something that would easily affect the usefulness of it
for others.

TBH, I'm surprised you guys haven't turned the whole thing off yet,
given all the crap you hear about it.

-T.C.