rsync causing disk sleeps and loss of apps

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 2 14:56:25 UTC 2011

On Monday 31 January 2011 21:42:55 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> If you have a valid key pair, why would you need a passphrase? The
> session will use the key pair for authentication and encryption. Your
> copy of the RSA info is already protected within your machine by being
> readable only by you and processes you own, including the ones run from
> your crontab.

I'm getting somewhat confused by the sub-threads, but I'll try to keep things
in place.

To test this theory I tried to avoid calling keychain in any way.  I had
already removed it from .bash_profile, and I commented out all reference to it
in the script.  I then started Konsole, which asked for my keychain
passphrase.  I cancelled that and it returned that it was "unable to add" my
identity, I guess.  Anyway, I then started the script.  It behaved exactly as
it had done before, stopping at the same place.  By the time I tried to run
the commands Martin said I should run as root, things started to sieze up and
I had to reboot.

BTW, plasma-desktop was one of the processes that was said to be in "disk
sleep".