Bluetooth under KDE?

John5342 john5342 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 23:11:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 22:00, Chris Smart <mail at christophersmart.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the info.
>> I've never heard of BlueDevil, but will give it a try.
>> I take it that it is an alternative to bluez?
>
> AFAIK, BlueZ is now dead. BlueDevil will be taking over the KDE stack.

AFAIK BlueZ is not dead. BlueZ is the Linux bluetooth stack that other
programs use to access bluetooth devices. For a long time that program
has been kbluetooth. Kbluetooth has never worked very well since a
BlueZ stack update a while back (a couple of releases i believe) and
apparently it's so full of hacks that nobody could be bothered to
rewrite it so it's just been bodged to work (that's what i heard
anyway). In the meantime BlueDevil has come along which aside from
being better written also sports much better integration with the KDE
environment. BlueDevil is still young and i have had a few problems
with it so far but is certainly looking promising.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...