Incredible Shrinking Fonts

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 00:56:03 UTC 2011

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> See also:
> https://kevinkofler.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/hint-how-to-force-
autohinting-on-fedora-15/

I read your article. I am a bit confused about BCI and autohinting.
You say that BCI is to be preferred over auto-hinting and that BCI is
automatically enabled in Fedora 15.

I had been plagued by wiry, spindly, thin fonts in Fedora for some
time (is this BCI that is causing that?) and someone on this list
suggested enabling auto-hinting by making a link in /etc/fonts/conf.d:

ln -s ../conf.avail/10-autohint.conf .

This has worked exceptionally! Yet you say that this has actually
disabled BCI?

I am confused. So, BCI, the new, preferred and superior system,
produces these horrible characters, while the less preferred auto-
hinting system produces these breathtakingly sharp and readable fonts?