Firefox: KDE Wallet password integration

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 16:08:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 02:56 -0700, Ryan Rix wrote:
> On Thu 30 June 2011 19:15:33 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/secret-storage-spec Wanna
> > > help fix that? ;)
> >
> > All I can say is it's depressing. A distinct impression of a project
> > going nowhere. Very little mailing list traffic (and that mostly from
> > one or two posters), a "recent changes" page that consists mostly of
> > spam, you get the picture. No doubt the handful of people working on it
> > are doing what they can, but after three years or so the spec is still
> > at draft 0.1, the last code commit was over 6 months ago and the
> > previous one 3 months before that, and nothing usable has found its way
> > to a leading distro. That suggests either that a) the project is poorly
> > focused, or b) too few people in the KDE and Gnome projects believe in
> > it (NIH syndrome? who knows?), or c) both.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Or that there is a lack of developers to work on it. KWallet is a small
> project, as is gnome-keyring, and both are volunteer efforts. I'm sure they'd
> love any help.

Even if they are small projects, they clearly have a critical
importance, given the number of components that depend on them.
Furthermore, I don't get the impression that the Secret Storage project
is being actively supported by either side of the divide other than the
representative of each side. That means they continue to be two small
projects when they could be one larger project and maybe get somewhere.
If the two sides were really interested in a unified solution, no doubt
that would have happened before now. Draw your own conclusions.

poc