Incredible Shrinking Fonts

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 18:09:05 UTC 2011

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> The goal there was that you could replace the proprietary fonts with
> Liberation fonts in word processor documents without breaking the layout
> of the document. Incompatible metrics would defeat that purpose.

I've been using Liberation for the browsers, after I had heard that. I used
to have problems with DejaVu extending past the boundaries of boxes, getting
chopped off or overwritten by other text.

>> Do you know which, DejaVu or Liberation, has the fullest UTF-8
>> coverage?
>
> Definitely DejaVu. Coverage is one of their main goals, if not THE main
> goal. Liberation is newer (so had less time to achieve high coverage) and
> focuses primarily on metric compatibility.

Thanks. I switched my system font back to DejaVu. It's nice to have a
reliable font that can display just about anything, without having to install
gazillions of non-Roman font packages that you'll never use.