plasma-nm nm09 branch snapshots coming to kde-testing

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Sat Jun 18 21:32:18 UTC 2011

On 06/18/2011 05:27 PM, Lukas Middendorf wrote:
> Patrick Boutilier wrote on Saturday 18 June 2011:

>>> Yes, I believe I did manage connections, then click on a wireless
>>> connection.
>>
>> I can reproduce by going to Manage Connections, selecting the wireless
>> AP I want and clicking the Edit button. At this point a dialog box comes
>> up that says "No agents were available for this request". The title of
>> the dialog box is "Error - KDE Control Module" . Click "Ok" and the
>> "Edit Network Connection" box does come up. Select "Wireless Security"
>> tab and enter WPA/WPA2 Personal password. As soon as I click "Ok"
>> NetworkManager goes haywire.
>>
>> Jun 17 23:49:47 hplaptop NetworkManager[1956]:    ifcfg-rh: updating
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-WWOOD3
>> Jun 17 23:49:47 hplaptop NetworkManager[1956]:    ifcfg-rh: updating
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-WWOOD3
>> Jun 17 23:49:47 hplaptop NetworkManager[1956]:    ifcfg-rh: updating
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-WWOOD3
>> Jun 17 23:49:47 hplaptop NetworkManager[1956]:    ifcfg-rh: updating
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-WWOOD3
>> Jun 17 23:49:47 hplaptop NetworkManager[1956]:    ifcfg-rh: updating
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-WWOOD3
>> Jun 17 23:49:47 hplaptop NetworkManager[1956]:    ifcfg-rh: updating
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-WWOOD3
>> Jun 17 23:49:47 hplaptop NetworkManager[1956]:    ifcfg-rh: updating
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-WWOOD3
>> Jun 17 23:49:47 hplaptop NetworkManager[1956]:    ifcfg-rh: updating
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-WWOOD3
>>

>> And so on...
>>

>> At this point the only way out is to kill -9 NetworkManager. WPA2
>> password never gets saved but I am able to connect if I type the
>> password in each time when the dialog box pops up asking for the password.
>
> Did you test nm-applet? I could not try the new plasma-nm, but with nm-applet
> I'm seeing the same behavior of NetworkManager when I try to setup a WPA2
> enterprise connection. So this might be a bug in NetworkManager itself instead
> of plasma-nm.

Tested with nm-applet and it saved the password fine, into
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-WWOOD3 . So now
kde-plasma-networkmanagement looks there for the password so it no
longer asks for the key.

This brings me to another issue. I notice that it doesn't matter if the
NetworkManager User Settings Service is running not for
kde-plasma-networkmanagement to work. And nm-applet also works with it
running where before it would complain that another program was already
using NetworManager, Is this expected in 4.6.4 ?