virtuoso-opensource

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jun 22 11:44:45 UTC 2011

Anne Wilson wrote:
>> Slightly OT, but I find I have lots of files in /tmp
>> of whose purpose I know nothing - including many virtuosi-*.ini .
>>
>> Some of these on my Fedora-15 system date back to May, eg akonadi-tim* .
>>
>> I thought /tmp got emptied at regular intervals?
>> Or does one have to specify this somewhere?
>
> On a weekly basis I run
>
> tmpwatch --mtime --verbose --verbose 168 /tmp
>
> It's amazing how much cruft it takes out weekly (it's intelligent enough
> have an age limit on the files it removes).  You can equally run a cron
> job to clean a user ~/tmp if you have one.

Thanks for the response.

I see I do actually have tmpwatch in /etc/cron.daily ,
which removes /tmp files, with some exceptions, after 10 days.
But now I see that the things remaining in /tmp are in directories, eg
   4 drwx------. 2 tim  tim     4096 Jun  4 01:31 virtual-tim.2Van37
and as far as I can see tmpwatch does not remove directories,
even though "man tmpwatch" says it removes empty directories,
which mine seem to be.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net