Firefox: KDE Wallet password integration

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 19:38:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 20:15 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 29.06.2011 20:07, schrieb Bill McGonigle:
> > On 06/27/2011 09:13 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >> Would it not make sense to include this extension as RPM
> >> in Fedora - Worked really nice until the 5.0 release and
> >> i guess a simple recompile against the new xulrunner-devel
> >> could make it work again but no idea how
> >>
> >> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/kde-wallet-password-integratio/
> >
> > I'd love to see that working, but I also use Firefox sync, which looks like it's broken with
> > this extension now. Since that's a core feature of Firefox 4 (RIP) it might be hard to justify
> > pushing this by default until that's fixed.
>
> i do not understand why mozilla does not include kwallet integration in the
> core instead useless crap like "personas", but anyways i would love to see
> any integration in KDE/Fedora because passwords should stored in a central
> manager if available

Because it's not a KDE application. It's written for Gnome and uses the
Gnome keyring stuff.

<rant>
As I've said before, this whole separation of wallet functions between
two different systems that don't talk to each other is stupid and
counter-productive. It's as if each DE used its own version of libc.
There's no basic technical justification for this. Each DE wants its own
user interface? Fine, but they do essentially the same things, so why
can't they both use a common library for keystore functionality? The
whole purpose of a wallet is to make things easier for the user. As
things stand, that only happens if the user stays with the apps from one
specific DE and never uses those of the other. Does anyone out there
actually do that?
</rant>

poc