Fun and games with sound

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 12 10:16:30 UTC 2011

On Friday 11 March 2011 17:24:22 Anne Wilson wrote:
> A few days ago I installed a Creative SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 box - a USB
> device that allows you to use good speakers from your laptop.  At first I
> had no success at all, but following the steps at
> http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenris02/pulseaudio-fixes-and-workarounds
> got me started.  This is where the fun and games begins.
>
> When I look at System Settings > Phonon, the number of devices that are
> listed varies enormously.  I have seen about 10 on one occasion.  Today
> there are 3, one of which is greyed out.  I have no idea what causes the
> devices to be seen on some occasions but not on others.  FWIW, the 5.1
> system tops the list, the laptop's internal speakers are next, then the
> greyed out one is another configuration of the 5.1 system.
>
> Then there's sound output from applications.  On the occasion that all the
> devices were listed I had good sound from front and rear, left and right,
> no center and no bass.  Today, from a CD + VLC I have good sterio sound
> from rear L and R - nothing from the other speakers.  Amarok simply
> outputs through the center speaker.  Clementine plays through the laptop's
> speakers.
>
> I'm rather at a loss with this so any ideas you might have would be very
> welcome.

It seems that some change I made yesterday has made a difference - but not for
the better.  Now the Phonon page is systemsettings shows only PulseAudio as
the output.  Using the Test button, I get stereo sound from the rear speakers
as before, but no application appears to be able to work with it.  Every
player I've tried is silent :-(

Do I really have to remove PA?