Fun and games with sound

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 12 19:27:19 UTC 2011

On Saturday 12 March 2011 18:41:06 Gabriel Ramirez wrote:
> only reinstall the pulseaudio rpms and yum reinstall
> /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-kde , I never added or removed of pulseaudio
> related stuff from the Fedora 14cinstall via DVD

At one point I had some success in getting sound to work - not perfect, but
not unbearable.  Amarok played 2.5 tracks, then popped up a message saying
that it could not work with the 5.1 soundcard.  From that point on, it seems
to have been broken.  I know that my attempts to fix it, eventually to remove
it and start again, may be part of the problem.

Anyway, I have now installed pulseaudio*  alsa-plugins-pulseaudio kde-
settings-pulseaudio pavucontrol pavumeter paprefs paman padevchooser.  For
start-pulseaudio-kde I'm told that no such package is available?

KMix shows only two instances of Internal Audio Analog Sterio on the Playback
tab bit SB X-Fi 5.1 shows on the Capture tab.  The Phonon page in System
Settings shows only Internal Audio Analog Stereo as active.  My 5.1 card is
listed, but greyed out.

I heard no startup sound.  Sounds from /usr/share/sounds don't play in
Kaffeine.  It looks as though I'm back to silence.

Annr