plasma-desktop has taken over my computer

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 13 16:54:03 UTC 2011

On Sunday 13 March 2011 16:27:00 Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sunday, March 13, 2011, Claude Jones wrote:
> > The machine has beome barely responsive; things like the
> > kickstart menu button, or right-click on the desktop, or
> > clicking on the options button on the panel produce no effect
> > - nothing. I don't remember doing anything in particular that
> > could have caused this. If I run top, it says that
> > plasma-desktop is using 100% of my CPU. If I long in as a
> > different user, the problem's not there, so this specific to
> > my regular user configuration. I notice that there are also
> > three processes called 'migration' running - could those have
> > anything to do with this problem? None of them seem to be
> > using any measurable CPU resources...
>
> more on this - I logged in to the machine using Gnome, and it's
> behaving normally - googling this issue produces lots of hits, but
> little help - most point at misbehaving applets, but can anyone
> suggest a means to troubleshoot this?

Do you by any chance have a very large IMAP account?  I know you've been
around for years :-) so it wouldn't be surprising.  I don't know what happens
if you interrupt migration, but I have definitely seen some people say that if
you have a huge IMAP set-up you would be best running the migration overnight.