Something wrong with the KDE wireless interface?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 17:57:03 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 22 March 2011 16:19:58 Christos Lazaridis wrote:
> Where do you store your passwords? I've had similar behavior and noticed
> that KWallet works much better than plain text file storage.

Well, this might be relevant --- I am not using KWallet, everything is stored
in plain text file (whichever that file is by default).

The thing is, I am the only user of this machine, and I have a whole chain of
passwordless things happening --- autologin into KDE on boot, automatic
connecting to wireless (which now doesn't work), autostart of skype, firefox,
kmail, which then automatically log in to various other things on the net,
check mail for me, etc...

Basically, I boot up the machine, make some breakfast, and walk back into a
fully working system which has logged into everything, checked my e-mail,
started downloading torrents, etc.

The thing is, somehow I could not make KWallet work without explicitly asking
for the password on every boot. This basically breaks the whole setup, so I
have shut it down and used the plain-text version, which Just Works, no
questions asked. Maybe KWallet could be beaten into compliance somehow, but it
wasn't obvious and I didn't bother to do research about that. Shutting it down
was just simpler to configure.

OTOH, I have the problem with KDE network applet even when connecting to new
AP's, for the first time, when I am supposed to be asked for a password and
provide it. The applet simply never finishes configuring the wireless IP etc. So
my guess is that this issue is independent of my KWallet configuration.

Best, :-)
Marko