Why KPackageKit takes so much time to list the repositories!!

Sonic get.sonic at gmail.com
Fri May 20 01:08:45 UTC 2011

I always use Yum and never tried any graphical tools to install
packages. But I was instructing a new user on how to install some
packages using KPackagekit the other day.
Why does KPackagekit take so much time to do anything at all? When I
start it, it tries to: 'Get package categories' which takes a looooong
time (I guess that also depends on my internet connection).

When I try to see the list of repositories ('Origin of packages' in
'settings'), it takes a looong time too. It seems that KPackagekit will
only get the list after the other pending operation is over. How
difficult can it be to get a list of repositories? Can't this be fixed?

Syam