Skype and Google-Talkplugin don't start, may be audio/video config problem

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 15 00:45:43 UTC 2011

Mario Storti wrote:
> I had to add a ~/.asoundrc with the following contents:
>
> pcm.pulse {
> type pulse
> }
>
> ctl.pulse {
> type pulse
> }
>
> pcm.!default {
> type pulse
> }
>
> ctl.!default {
> type pulse
> }
>
> If I understand well that means that the default is Pulseaudio for all
> applications. Now I can have Firefox and Amarok playing sound at the
> same time. I'm not sure why I need this, I read somewhere that
> the .asoundrc file is not really needed except if you have special
> hardware (my laptop is Dell Inspiron 1420, rather standard I think).

Yes, the above is supposed to already be the default setup.

> Now I'm looking for the problem of not being able to run Skype and
> Google-Talk plugin.

Do you have alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 and pulseaudio-libs.i686 installed?
That crappy proprietary software still doesn't understand what "64-bit"
means, and you need the above 32-bit multilibs for them to actually work
with PulseAudio.

        Kevin Kofler