Preupgrade results in inability to start x

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Wed Nov 16 18:38:47 UTC 2011

On 11/16/2011 1:00 PM, Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> 3. Prevent gdm from loading on boot by either:
>

>     Adding to /modifying /etc/sysconfig/desktop so it contains these two
> lines:
>
>     DESKTOP="KDE"
>     DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

Thanks, Patrick - it's funny, because I almost always set these, but, I
rebuilt this box not that long ago, and I must have never got around to
it. Doesn't explain why preupgrade couldn't get the machine started with
the original settings - if I was using GDM before, it was working
fine... Anyway, it's up and running now...

If I could only figure out why DHCPD and IPTABLES failed to start, now -
but, that's a topic for a new thread

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA