KMail Mailing List

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 9 16:55:23 UTC 2011

On Friday 09 Sep 2011 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> subscribed to a mailing list and having the messages for that list going
> >> into a particular folder specifically for the mailing list.
> >
> > The other thing it does is to allow you to associate "Reply to List" to
> > that folder.
>
> I should say that what I really want to do
> is set up my own mailing list,
> ie a list of email addresses
> and a facility to send email to a "virtual address", say "MyFriends",
> which will result in the message being sent
> to the people on the list.

That is not at all the same thing.

> Is that possible with the current PIM/KMail/KAddressBook?

Maybe.  KAddressBook now uses Groups instead of Mailing Lists.  Over the last
couple of years I've had some success with this, but it is patchy.  Sometimes
the group name remains but some addresses are lost.  This is in KMail 1.  I
hope to have KMail 2 installed this weekend, so I'll test then and let you
know what I find.

> It used to be possible with KAddressBook, but seems to have disappeared.
> This is rather difficult to discover, as KAddressBook
> has not had an official Handbook for many years,
> despite their being a pointer to it.

Search for KAddressBook in UserBase - that's where the most recent
documentation is.

> Am I alone in wishing that the PIM developers in particular,
> and KDE developers in general,
> would stop thinking of clever things to do,
> and document properly what is available now?

How would you feel if someone told you what you must do in your spare time?