KMail/dovecot from remote server

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Sun Apr 8 09:47:52 UTC 2012

I'm running KMail on my laptop,
collecting mail from a remote dovecot server over openVPN.
Ping time to the server is about 250ms.

This works reasonably well, except that I get frequent messages
to say that the link to the server has been lost.
I often ping-check the link in such a case,
and it seems to be fine.

A worse symptom is that sometimes I get the message
"Retrieving folder contents" which remains there apparently for ever
preventing me reading any mail.
I have to re-start with Ctl-Alt-Backspace to get KMail working again.
I suspect that this may have something to do with the "wallet"
though I am not sure about this.

I wonder if any other KMail users have the same experience?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net