Nightmare in PIM-land

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Apr 29 22:08:34 UTC 2012

Anne Wilson wrote:

> I sent back into Kontact today and tried to edit a group.
> This time it didn't crash (not sure if there has been updates since I
> last tried).  It said 3 contacts didn't exist any more, but I could
> add a new one.  I checked some time later and it was still there.
>
> Did you say you are on 4.7.x?  I'd certainly update if that is so.
> Not all is solved, but much is improved.

I'm actually running kdepim-4.8.2-1.fc16.i686
I'm just testing kontact again.

No, sadly, when I add a contact to a group
it remains there for just 6 seconds.

I added the contact by double-clicking on the group.
This brings up a window with a blue strip near the top,
with Name and EMail over it,
If I click on this strip under Name a white space opens.
I type in the name of one of the contacts in the address book,
and the contact's email is filled in automatically.
I click on OK at the bottom of the window,
and the name and address appear in the group window to the right.
This entry disappears after 6 seconds, as I said.

I see there is a change to the file .kde/share/apps/kabs/distlists -
a number is added after the group in question.
But this number is not the UID of the contact.

I should say I find the changes to Kontact/KAddressBook -
in particular the facility to add different kinds of contact lists,
Google Contacts, LDAP Contacts and local contacts -
very exciting, suggesting that kdepim is moving towards an ideal solution.

The fact remains that this particular part of the solution
does not work for me at the moment.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net