how to set panel icons for applications without them

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 14:38:58 UTC 2012

On 3 February 2012 15:41, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Chris Rouch wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of applications which do not set a specific icon for
>> use in the kde4 panel (ie. in smooth tasks). Instead the default X
>> with a circle round it is shown. Is there a way to configure icons for
>> applications without them, either through the settings or by editing a
>> .desktop file or any other way?
>
> edit .desktop file to include
> Icon=
> pointing to something. :)

Thanks. That's what I guessed, but I'm having problems with the details.

Specifically:

* does the name of the desktop file matter?
* If not, I assume it's the name field in the desktop file that is important?
* in either case, how do I find out the name that I need to use for
the application?
* Where does kde look for the icons?

The two applications I'm trying to fix are both a little strange - xv
(very old, but fast and easy to use image viewer) and wfica (part of
the ciitrix ICAClient rpm). Both of these displayed their own icons in
F14 (so kde 4.6 I think), but no longer do.

Thanks,

Chris